Personal data we collect
We may obtain personal data direct from you and from various other sources.
Here are some examples of when we may collect your data:
- Registering for events
- Marketing or promotional activities
- Accessing certain sections of the website
- Subscribing to newsletters or press distribution lists
- Participating in online surveys, discussion groups, forums, or live chats
- Entering contests
We may collect the following information about you:
- Your contact details (such as your name, address, phone number, and email address)
- Information about how you use our website (for example, traffic data, location data, and other communication data)
- Information about your computer (including where available your IP address, operating system, and browser type)
- Correspondence with you
How we use the personal data we collect
We may use the personal data we collect to record and support your participation in the activities you select and facilitate your relationship with us.
For instance, we may use such personal data to accomplish the following:
- Provide products or services you request
- Contact you regarding the contest that you decide to enter or prize awards
- Provide you with customer support
- Enable you to participate in marketing, advocacy, or promotional programs
- Contact you and make you aware of other products, information and services that we believe may be of interest to you (subject to your consent and ability to unsubscribe as described below)
- Process and maintain a record of your transactions
- Operate, evaluate, and improve our business and the products and services we offer
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails sent to you have been received and read)
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding visitors’ use of the website
- Protect against and prevent fraud or violations of our terms of services
- Comply with applicable legal requirements
If we intend to process your personal data in other ways, we will provide specific notice at the time of collection.
In addition, subject to your ability to object as described below, we may use personal data collected on the website to build user profiles. In particular, if you decide to fill out a web form or click on a traceable link, we may associate your browsing activity on the website with your profile, which can include your name and email address. We may use such profiles for various purposes, including advertising, market research, sales, and website design. If you wish that your personal data is not used in such a manner, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal grounds for using your personal information
- Where we have an agreement with you as an individual, we will use your personal information where necessary for the purposes of that agreement. Importantly, if you do not provide us with enough personal information for the purposes of the agreement, we may not be able to enter into or fulfill our obligations to you under the agreement.
- Legitimate interests
- In many situations, we will not have an agreement with you as an individual. Where we do not have an agreement with you as an individual and we have not asked for your consent, our ground for the use of your personal information is for the legitimate interests of our business. We will always consider your rights and your privacy before using your personal data for the legitimate interests of our business. Where your rights or privacy override our business interests, we will not use your personal data.
- Direct marketing
- If we obtained your details in the context of a sale of goods or services, we will send you direct marketing unless you object. If we did not obtain your details in the context of a sale, we will only send you direct marketing if you give us consent. You may request to “Unsubscribe” at any time after receiving a marketing communication from us. All marketing communications that you receive from S’more Scout will instruct you how to decline further marketing communications from us.
- There may be other specific situations where the appropriate ground for us to use your personal data is your consent. We will always make you aware when we are relying on your consent to use your personal data.
- Legal reasons
- Separately from our business purposes, we will also use your personal information where we have a legal obligation to do so. For example, if a regulator or official authority asks us for your personal information. In very limited situations, we may also use your personal information to exercise our legal rights (including in relation to legal proceedings).
- Purpose limitation
- If we collect your personal data for one purpose and then intend to use it for a different incompatible purpose, we will seek your consent to do so and/or inform you where necessary or appropriate.
Personal data we share
We may use a number of organizations to carry out a range of services on behalf of S’more Scout (“processors”).
Our processors must handle your personal data in accordance with data protection law. We also have agreements in place with our processors so that they only handle your personal data as we have instructed them to. They cannot make any other use of your personal information (except where required by law).
- Legal reasons
- We may also share your personal information with regulators or official authorities where required or where necessary to exercise our legal rights.
How long we keep personal information
To ensure we are able to meet our legal obligations and exercise our legal rights, we will store your personal information for 6 years after we last used it (or longer where we have a specific legal obligation).
Transferring personal data outside the European Economic Area
Many of our processors we work with are based outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). When we send your personal information outside of the EEA to a country not recognized as providing appropriate protections, we put in place appropriate contracts, group agreements, or other safeguards to ensure your rights are protected.
When you visit the website, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web beacons, local storage, and other similar technologies.
Cookies are text files that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to assign each visitor a unique, randomly generated number that resides on the visitor’s computer.
Cookies and similar technologies are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
Most web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visitAboutCookies.org or AllAboutCookies.org.
We use the following cookies on our website.
Analytics and customization cookies
These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites are being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our websites and application for you in order to enhance your experience.
- Google Tag Manager:
- Tooling provided by Google to enable analytics functionality.
- Google Analytics:
- Gathers information allowing us to understand customer interactions with our websites and ultimately refine that experience to better serve you.
It is important that you are familiar with and easily able to exercise the following rights:
- The right to access your personal data
- The right to object to direct marketing
- The right to object to the use of your personal data carried out on the ground of legitimate interests
- The right to withdraw consent
- The right to erasure of your personal data
- The right of data portability
- The right to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate
- The right to have your personal data restricted or blocked from being used
- The right to complain to the relevant data protection authority
Please be aware that these rights are not always absolute, and there may be some situations in which you cannot exercise them or they are not relevant. To help you understand these rights, you may wish to look at the websites of the European Data Protection Board and the national data protection authorities.
To exercise any of these rights, please use the contact details provided below or email email@example.com.
Data protection officer
You may contact our data protection officer via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to contact us
Attention: Data Protection Officer
19 Ardmore Road
Springfield, Ohio 45504
Effective: July 29, 2020
Updated: July 30, 2020